Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 124 It’s all over but the shoutin’

Tomorrow morning, I leave for Memphis.  I am packing now, carefully selecting what I take, considering that most of my suitcase will be filled up with running clothes.  What to take, what not to take?   Well, there is the obvious, all of which is well worn in.  (I made the HUGE mistake in my first marathon to wear a pair of NEW socks.  Bad move.  Within the first six miles, I knew that I was in trouble.  I could feel one of my toes rubbing against the seam of the sock.  By the end of the marathon, whoa, not something I would want to repeat.)  So, I will put in well-worn socks, shoes that have gone on several long runs, a trusty tank top, a long sleeve dry weave shirt, a favorite running bra, and my trademark running knickers which are good in warm and cool weather.  I am also throwing in a hat, gloves, a heavier running shirt, and a jacket, just in case.  Ready to go?

Well, there are a few more necessary things besides a couple of snickers in my pocket.  I need a few extra verses in my heart.  I need to bank on God’s Word.

“I lift up my eyes to the hills.

From whence does my help come?

My help comes from the LORD,

Who made heaven and earth.”

                    Psalm 121.1-2

I need to leave fear and anxiety behind.  No room for those. No need to carry the unneeded weight.

And as my son-in-law reminds our granddaughter Maggie, “Do you have a happy heart?”  I can trudge through this race.  Or I can let it have a deeper purpose.  It is not a matter of attitude or positive thoughts, but viewing this experience from a different worldview.  As I wondered this morning what I have gotten myself into, God impressed on me, “Would you do it for Me?” 

Of course.  And suddenly the long lonely miles took on a different light.  He has used this marathon for things I cannot fathom.  And He will use it even more.  As it said in the devotional My Utmost for His Highest, two days ago on November 30:

“There is only one relationship that matters, and that is your personal relationship to a personal Redeemer and Lord.  God will fulfill His purpose through your life.”

And so, I claim this Saturday morning, “my utmost for His highest.”  Every step, every mile.

No comments: