Thursday, December 8, 2011

And What Do We Miss?

Whenever we go to the mountains, I am overwhelmed by the hand of God in His creation.  Each time as we drive through the cathedrals of trees, no matter the season, each time I run through the woods, no matter the weather, I hear and smell and see something new.  Sometimes it is the mist through which trees seem to float eerily, sometimes it is the grandeur of snow clinging to rocks in a rushing creek or the branches of trees that engrave the sky with dark lace, sometimes it is the deep smell of pine needles carpeting the autumn floor of the forest.

But my favorite is the sighting of a black bear, which happens more often than not.  I always watch from a safe distance, I know to respect their space, but the opportunity each time takes my breath away by the majesty of these creatures, so integrated into their environment that even a dark rock, a shadow, the hollow blackness of a fallen tree become phantoms in the wild. 

Once while driving through the mountains and watching out the window like an excited little kid, I prayed silently, “O God, just one, give us a glimpse of just one bear walking through the woods.”  And in my silliness, I stopped short.  Because I realized very suddenly to Whom I was praying, the Creator of the Universe, the LORD of all creation.  And I knew that if He chose, it would take nothing at all for Him to send out a hundred bears dancing a jig.

What am I praying for today?  Do I realize what God is capable of doing?

May the bears dance, O LORD.

William Holbrook Beard and his painting 'The Bear Dance

I lift up my eyes to the hills.

From whence does my help come?

My help comes from the LORD,

Maker of heaven and earth.

                          Psalm 121.1

No comments: