Friday, January 11, 2013

Who Moved?

Long, long ago, when I was a teenager, a guest preacher named Malcolm Cronk stood in the pulpit for a few months while the church searched for a full time pastor.  One Sunday evening, he told the story of a man and his wife who were driving and listening to music on the radio (back in the days when cars had bench seats all the way across and radio was the only source of music).  When one particularly romantic song was played, the wife turned to her husband and said, "Why are we not so close like that anymore?"  Her husband turned and looked at her sitting over by the window and said, "Who moved?"

I realize that everything I do brings me deeper in my relationship with God or inches me a little further away. The relationship is still there, but the closeness suffers.  Reading my Bible, meditating on and memorizing His Word,  praying, connecting with other believers, worshipping God in all I do, going to church, obeying Him -- these are all actions that matter, expressions through which God changes my life.  These things do not save me, they are just a response to Him who does,  because I love God, because I want to be closer in my relationship with Him.

"Why do You stand afar off, O LORD?
Why do you hide Yourself in time of trouble?"
                                    Psalm 10.1

Who moved, but me?

No comments: