Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Faithfulness means...

As I was running through the sweat of the forest this week, I began thinking about people I have known, even when I was a little girl, who I remember as the faithful ones.  I observed so many people working hard without fanfare, hearing snatches of conversations around the dinner table and in the church lobby, faces and names and experiences sneaking in and out of my thoughts as I climbed another hill and went around yet another bend.  And as I wandered, the incredible dimensions of faithfulness to God surrounded me.   

What does faithfulness look like?

Left out sometimes to be available for something else.
Being taken advantage of.
Standing out. Being silent. Covering the gaps.
Navigating it differently.
Bring grace to it. No matter what.
Praying anyway, and not giving up.
Assured this life is not all there is.
Willing to be used, willing to look ridiculous.
Another chapter, a different season, not the end at all.
Unencumbered.
"After you."
Let go of what doesn’t matter to grab hold of what does— and know the radical difference between them.
In the steep parts, knowing the other side.
Not a dead end, not a detour, but going through.
God never promised life is easy, but “I am with you.”
Watches for ambushes, steps carefully through mine fields, doesn’t quit in the miry bogs of which there are many.
A state of being, a foundation of doing.
Not esteemed, but doesn’t need it.
Rooted and holding fast.
Carrying on.
Not seeing results,
    but trusting His.
Doing the same thing over and over. Just because.
The glue of our faith.
Doing the right and kind thing anyway.
Willing. Ready to follow God in this. Shoes already tied.
The upper room always ready.
Not having to be the best, or perfect, or winning the race, but helping another cross the line before you.
Keeping on.
Be strong, courageous and kind even when everything in you says the opposite.
Knowing little things matter more.
Walking toward any available light in the darkness and in impossible situations.
Stickiness.
For His glory. For their good.

But this I call to mind,
    and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the LORD
                 never ceases,
His mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
        great is Your faithfulness.

                    Lamentations 3. 21-23




No comments: