Sunday, May 3, 2020

Getting back to normal


With the economy beginning to sneak open again, conversations are now buzzing about what was BC (before covid) and what is to be AQ (after quarantine).  I am hearing a lot of "I can't wait to get back to normal."

I don't think God has any intention for us to go back to what was normal, ordinary, mundane, routine, exactly alike, unchanged, common, average, and business as usual.  Or should I say busy-ness as usual.

In the sudden shut-down of our economy and sheltering in our homes, we sounded a lot like the Israelites just three days after the monumental life-altering parting of the Red Sea, grumbling for what they left in Egypt.  It was so much better before than this wilderness, this disruption, this quarantine.  "If we had only known, we would not have complained so much about what we had before."

Normal again?  That sets the bar pretty low.  Is that what we really want?

In many dimensions, as drastically hard as it has been for so many, this lockdown has actually been a release, providing a different season, a new way of looking at things, the shedding of rigid schedules and self-imposed regulations that keep us from seeing anything different or even contemplating what could be.

God does not say:  "Behold, I make all things normal again."

But He does promise:  "Behold, I make all things new."  (Revelation 21. 5)

Circumstances may alter radically -- or not at all -- but if we come out of this monumental shake-up unchanged, then we have missed the newness that God brings to any situation.  And we'll miss His faithfulness that continues to surround us, not just through this, not just in what we understand --or cannot fathom-- but all along the way.

And even very familiar words of Scripture take on deeper meaning, the heartfelt rhythms, songs and prayers by David, the singer/songwriter and poet laureate of the Bible, written in the 10th century BC.  And those psalms remind us --yet again-- that God's faithfulness and steadfast love endures forever, true and manifest three thousand years ago when David penned these words....and even now.  Even in this.

Even though I walk through
    the valley of deep darkness,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
       they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
  in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
              my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy
shall follow me
all the days of my life.
And I will dwell
in the house of the LORD
                  forever.

                  Psalm 23. 4-6

Dwelling in His Presence,
walking with Him,
surrounded by
        His steadfast love.

Not just squeaking by,
    not just surviving,
but thriving
      in impossible places.
Live in such a way
   by walking with Him.







No comments: