Thursday, September 17, 2020

The morning stars sang together

 My husband was ready the night before, everything packed and in place.  Nothing surprising in that.  He was going fly fishing with a friend at a river about an hour from here.  He set an alarm.  But he was up even earlier than that. Again, no surprise in that either.

It was dark.  It was still the deepness that abides before the opening of a new day.

I stood in the garage, sipping my coffee, as he loaded his lunch into his truck.  As he backed his truck out of the garage with his fishing kayak strapped to the top, I thought to myself, "No way is he going to be able to make it out of there with that kayak on top."   It looked way too close from my perspective, from my limited vision, from where I stood.  

Seeing me measuring up the possibility, Bill directed me, "Go stand on the stairs."  And from there, I watched, and indeed, there was room for him to pass through.  He waved.  And he was on his way.

How many times in my life have I thought, "No way can I get through this.  No way can I do this."  How many times do I not even try, because I don't trust God enough, and because I don't see the situation from His perspective?  Even the "narrow squeaks" are not narrow squeaks to Him.

"Trust Me in this.  You will get through."

God may be leading us to a different place....or to see a deeper dimension of Him, right where we are.

I followed his truck into the driveway, outside into the predawn darkness.  As he pulled away, something caught my eye.  I looked up and was surrounded by the brilliance of the heavens, stars God has numbered and named, like a million galaxies emerging into view.  I knew there are far more than I can even see with my myopic vision.  

I stand exactly where I need to be, trusting in Him.

I chuckled as I re-entered the house.  I could have been sleeping.  And I would have missed it all, the chorus of the morning stars, the music of the spheres, a vision of His faithfulness, the brilliance of His steadfast love.

 

He determines

   the number of the stars;

He gives to all of them

             their names.

         Psalm 147. 4

 

God cares even more about each one of us.


 

No comments: