Monday, January 18, 2021

Whatever is before me

As I sat at my desk early this morning, the strong eastern sunlight streamed through the windows, and I realized what I have neglected and ignored far too long.  With reluctance, I will be mopping our floors today.  It is not quite the way I envisioned the start of the week.

And then in my grumbling spirit, I remembered it is a holiday today in honor and memory of Martin Luther King Jr.  I was reminded of one of his quotations that reflects a Biblical worldview about work.  It always makes me think a little deeper about whatever is before me to do.  My agenda, my mindset, and my myopic heart are not always in alignment with the heart of God.  There is no insignificant work in God's economy, nothing that He cannot use far beyond my imagination. 

"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry.  He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, "Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well."

Whatever is before us today, the highest calling is to do it faithfully and with excellence before God.  And know that God will use it in powerful ways for His Kingdom and to point others to Him -- even in ways we may never see. Perhaps even to align our very own hearts with His.  "Trust Me in this."

God will ripen even the smallest seeds of love and faithfulness in His own perfect timing.

Every day we do things that we don't think really matter at all in the grand scheme of things.  But in God's grander narrative, every detail matters a lot.  Because what we do -- and perhaps even more, how we do it-- does something to us as well.  Doing my utmost for His highest looks very different even in the most ordinary task.  Because there are no ordinary obediences. 

We cannot yet see the other side--not just of our work-- but in how God uses it.  We would be astonished, if we knew, and someday we will know.

Whatever you do,

work heartily as for the LORD 

and not for men, 

knowing that from the Lord you will receive

 the inheritance as your reward.  

You are serving the Lord Christ.  

                        Colossians 3. 23-24

 

Whatever is before me today. 

 

No comments: