Sunday, March 7, 2021

Savoring of the Ordinary

Yesterday I was watchful with my time.  It was not a day of productivity as if I was on an assembly line.  But it was not wasted in any sense of the word.

It was a day of small things.

If someone had asked, "So, what did you do today?"  I would have said, "Give me a minute. Let me think about it."  There were no scheduled events or grand plans, but just abiding in the unfolding hours.

I tended to what was needed.  I finished a book.  I jotted down thoughts for a talk I'm giving next week. And I spent most of the afternoon, picking up broken branches and sticks in the yard, cleaning up after the winter's wild party and getting ready for spring ready to burst forth.

It was not an empty day without meaning and purpose, but watchful and attentive of little ordinary things, that of which most of our lives are filled.  Even in subtle, daily ways, God brings His glory.  Even in what we consider ordinary, God writes His faithfulness all over it. And plants His fruit.

In his book Supper of the Lamb, author Robert Farrer Capon wrote about the extravagance of the ordinary.  He even included an entire fascinating chapter on the magnificence of cutting up an onion in preparation of a meal.  Oh, the weight of glory we miss in our familiar tasks, that which we never notice.  Because we are so caught up in usefulness, we are unaware of the beauty in it.

He wrote, "...for life is so much more than occasions, and its grand ordinariness must never go unsavored."

Yesterday, I savored. 

 

The Mighty One, God the LORD,

speaks and summons the earth

from the rising of the sun to its setting.

Out of Zion, 

     the perfection of beauty,

God shines forth.

                     Psalm 50. 1-2


No comments: