Friday, July 2, 2021

What We See and What We Don't

As in many families, the conversation around the supper table revolves around what took place that day.  In one of our daughters' homes, the six members of her family add another dimension to it.  The big question is not just "what happened today?"  But they include three questions to stimulate both thought and conversation.

What was good today?

What was hard today?

Where did I see God's hand today?

The stories they share don't just help them know each other better, their struggles and their joys, but help each one of them know God and His faithfulness a little more.  Because how we see God changes how we see each other, how we see other people, how we see ourselves, and how we see circumstances.  Nothing is random.  Nothing is beyond His care.

As often happens, all three answers turn out to be wrapped up into one situation or story.  What was good is often the victory in what was hard and how God's hand was revealed in the outcome.  At other times, three (or more) very separate incidents converge into one answer.  God opens my eyes to what I've never seen before.  And when I can't quite see the purpose, God's timing is not my own, my heart is not ready, nor the outcome ripe yet.

As my grandmother used to tell me as a little girl:  "Sometimes, darling, you just need to trust God in that."

Whether around the supper table or just musing in bed at night, these questions help us so that our days don't just slip by without noticing what God is doing in our lives and in His Kingdom.  This liturgy of sorts helps us to examine:  what I did, how I responded (or should have responded another way), how I trusted God (or how I didn't), what was my attitude, what was my heart in this, and how did I approach a difficulty or volatile situation differently because I am a believer?

One of the strengths of fellowship is the sharing of stories.  And we don't share our stories nearly enough. God has given each one of us a narrative to come alongside others to encourage them.  

Am I sharing with others the story God is unfolding in my life?  Am I pointing others to Him?

 

After greeting them, he related

        one by one

the things that God had done

among the Gentiles through his ministry.

And when they heard it,

they glorified God.

                    Acts 21. 19-20

No comments: