Monday, May 3, 2010

Just an Old Man

A friend of mine recently moved from her house into an apartment, quite a daunting task. She rented an apartment to give herself a year to research a new place and new job before she committed herself to a mortgage. The very first afternoon as she was unpacking her car, she was greeted by several elderly individuals in the building, including an old woman who immediately hugged her and said, "I am so glad that you are here." As my friend told me about her new neighbors, I think I was most moved by an old man in her building, who greeted her and asked her about herself. On the exterior, he was just an old man. But as she asked him about himself, he revealed that he was a holocaust survivor, and indeed survived because his name was on a list carried by a man named Schindler.

Everyone has a story. We just don't bother to listen below the surface. I think that we would be amazed by whom we are surrounded. And how God has strategically placed us in their lives....and placed them in ours.

No comments: