Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 45 I Can Do Today

One day last week I was totally overwhelmed by the ENORMITY of training for this marathon.  Yes, I know that I can run it, because I have run it before.  But I also know what has yet to come and what must be done before it comes.  It is going to get worse before it gets better.  I am right on the edge of some really steep increases in mileage.  I can feel anxiety breathing down my neck and whispering fear into my ears.  But God reminds me of His words repeated over and over and over again in Scripture, “Do not be afraid.”  Just do what I need to do today.  Look at the schedule and don’t fret about what comes tomorrow or at the end of the week.  Do what you need to do today.

I can do that.  Sometimes I have to reach down deep to find the courage to even step outside the door or talk myself into going “one more block” until I get the long run done.  But I can do today.  Sometimes even tomorrow is too heavy to think about.  It will have to wait.  And instead, I focus on my daily bread.  That is what is on my plate today.  God gives the strength to do it even when, whoa, that road is a long one.  And I realize once again that the marathon is not about the race, but what leads up to it.

Take courage, sweet friends, because I know that some of you are going through things in life that would make a marathon look like a walk in the park.  

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope:  The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.  Lamentations 3. 21-23

No comments: