Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 53 Cross the tracks now!

One of the best places to run around here is the Prairie Path, the very first rails-to-trails network in the nation, established in the mid-1960s, way before its time.  The path runs alongside the tracks of a commuter and freight train line out from the city to the west.  I have learned in our short while here, that when you have the opportunity to cross the tracks to get to the side you want to end up on, cross the tracks now.  The commuter trains are not so bad, but the freight trains last longer than a day at a swim meet (forever!).   And when encountering two freight trains going in opposite directions, one after another, you could finish reading (or writing) a short novel, waiting for them to clear the tracks.

This morning, the tracks were clear and I almost went on to the next intersection, but I crossed the tracks anyway.  Just as I passed over, the bells began to ring and the gates came down.  I was so glad I crossed when I did.  There was a freight train, long and slow.

It made me think of the countless times when I have put things off…oh, I can do that in a minute (or tomorrow).  And in that blink of time, the opportunity passes.  And I am stuck literally on the wrong side of the tracks.  I used to tell the girls, “There are many times that I have regretted not doing something ahead of time, but I’ve never regretted going ahead and doing it.” 

Pray for guidance.  Let God lay His day before you.  And follow Him into it.

He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry, when He hears it, He will answer you…And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.   Isaiah 30. 19, 21

No comments: