Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wild Fire!

It has been months since we have had rain.  The lawns and fields have faded to a light grey, the dirt hard and cracked.  I didn’t realize how bad it appeared until I traveled last week even a few hours south.  The greenness surprised me, reminding my of how it SHOULD look this time of year.  We don’t need a flood, just a few minutes of water a day to let the vegetation thrive.

And out West right now, the news services are reporting the devastation of rampant wild fires, burning uncontrollably, consuming everything in its path.

When we ignore our spiritual lives, everything still appears to be under control.  But the greyness of drought creeps in on silent feet, a gradual parching of the land turns into a desperate thirst we don’t know how to quench.  And just as we stubbornly think we can do it on our own, one little crisis sets our life ablaze.  One careless match, one little spark, and we realize our need for God.  When my spiritual life dries up, it impacts everything.  

When I send sent down my roots in Him, it doesn’t matter what is going on around me.  My strength does not depend on circumstances, my joy is not based on if things are right, but He sustains.  That little bit of time in His Word, pouring out my heart in prayer, seeking to worship Him in whatever I do.  All those things water my soul.

 

…but his delight is in the law of the LORD.

and on His law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree

        planted by streams of water,

that yields its fruit in its season,

        and its leaf does not wither.

In all that he does, he prospers.

                       Psalm 1. 2-3

No comments: