Tuesday, September 4, 2012

…And Anything Else

I was reading a children’s devotional book to my two-year-old granddaughter one afternoon this summer, when suddenly I had to hop up to save her fast and mischievous little brother and my kitchen from destruction.  She followed me into the kitchen, still looking at the pages and “reading” out loud.  “And thank You, God, for mommy and daddy.”  She paused to turn a page.  “And thank You, God, for my little brutha.”  Turned another page. 

“And thank You, God, for anything else.”

I love the heart of trust that God has granted to this little one.  She has no question in her heart that God is good and gracious and holds her in the palm of His hand.  She knows that life is so much bigger than she is, that she is sometimes too short to know what is going on, and that there are reasons for things (“but why, gramma?” she says a hundred and thirty times a day).

I look at her and listen to her and God reminds me Whose child I am.

Thank you, God, for what you are doing, for what I cannot understand, and what I can’t even see…  and anything else.

 

He does great things which we cannot comprehend.

                                              Job 37.5

No comments: