Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dog-eared Pages

"I knew from experience what to do when the demon of fear entered my heart.  He had called on me many a time during my imprisonment in Germany, and I would then begin to sing.  Singing always helps.  Try it for yourself some time;  fear and anxiety will vanish when you sing... But this time it was all to no avail... No, singing did not help me now.  Then I tried to dispel my fear by prayer, and I prayed.  But my prayer became a refrain... I kept on praying to dispel my fear, until suddenly and I do not know how the idea came to me, I began to pray for others.  I prayed for everyone who came into my thoughts, people with whom I had traveled, those who had been in prison with me, my school friends of years ago, I do not know how long I continued in prayer, but this I do know, my fear was gone.  Interceding for others had released myself."

                                      -- Corrie ten Boom
                                          Amazing Love
                                          pages 52-53

No comments: