Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Don't Mess With Granny

Eighty-nine year old Marie Miller didn't have much of an agenda for that day, except to go have her hair fixed.  But a man, who had broken into her home, surprised her when she came back from the beauty parlor. "I thought he was going to get me," she told a reporter later, "so I thought I'd give it everything I've got."

Several years prior to the incident, she took a self-defense class with her daughter.  "In an instant, everything I learned came back to me," she said.  "Kick him, scratch him, scream, and pop him in the nose."  Needless to say, the intruder fled the scene.  Marie was more than he bargained for.

I can't tell you how many times in a personal crisis or in helping someone with theirs, a Bible verse that I memorized decades ago or even a passage of Scripture that I read that morning, comes to mind, word by word, to strengthen, to encourage, to guide me through the rough waters of my day with grace and wisdom, or to help someone else do the same.

Daily time in His Word equips me and changes me.  Major crisis or daily encounters, none of us knows when we will need it most, sustain us through a valley, or deal with the unexpected like Marie.

Your Word is a lamp to my feet,
and a light unto my path.

                    Psalm 119.105

No comments: