Monday, March 18, 2019

After all the green


St. Patrick's day is over, the green shirts and shamrock socks put away for another year.

But what lingers is the testimony of a real man who sacrificed his life to bring the name of Jesus into strange and dark places.

Patrick was not a legend, or some kind of super hero, nor a man who bore incredible courage.  He just continually sought the mercy and strength of the One mightier than him, before he even ventured out into his day, despite the mine fields or miry bogs of life.

The following is a prayer written by him in 433 AD as he sought to bring the gospel to Ireland and live out the love of Christ, even amidst violence, anger and apathy.  I love the words of this man as he prayed so very long ago, words that express my heart as well.  It is a cry for both protection and strength, no matter what is on the horizon, in the forecast, beneath our feet, unwieldy burdens in our arms, rocks and boulders on our paths, even surprises, mysteries, ambushes, high winds buffeting, and cliffs on our right.  Even then.  Even in this.

It is not just a cry for His strength but starting the day binding myself to Him, and knowing despite all, it is Christ who holds me fast.

I bind unto myself today
The strong name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One,
      and One in Three.

I bind this day to me for ever,
By power of faith,
      Christ's incarnation;
His baptism in the Jordan River;
His death on the cross
       for my salvation.
His bursting from the spiced tomb;
His riding up the heav'nly way;
His coming at the day of doom;
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God
            to hold and lead,
His eye to watch,
            His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need;
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide,
             His shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heav'nly host to be my guard.

Against all Satan's spells and wiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart's idolatry,
Against the wizard's evil craft,
Against the death-wound and the burning,
The choking wave, the poison'd shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till thy returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the name,
The strong name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word.
Praise to the Lord of my salvation:
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

2 comments:

Cindy Tinker Hancock said...

Amen and Amen and Amen all the day long!

Unknown said...

Wow, thanks for passing along this powerful prayer! A great way to invite God into my day!