Friday, March 15, 2019

Not just words to a song


My husband and I attended the spring program at the pre-school where some of our grandchildren attend.  It seems at times a ludicrous exercise in placing dozens of tiny children on stage, some wandering around, some just staring at the crowd before them, the teacher often singing alone, and as to be expected a child weeping and one who waved continuously to his mom, totally oblivious to what he should be doing or where he was.

But we were fulfilling our mandate as grandparents:  Be there.  Be available. Whether it makes sense or not.

The children sang a variety of songs, including several Bible verses set to tunes.  And I was reminded how music engraves the words in a deeper way into our brains.

At one point our four year old granddaughter and her class were singing to the top of their lungs, "God is SO faithful."

Do they really understand what they are singing?   Do they have any idea even the mere definition of the word "faithful," let alone the magnitude of God's faithfulness?

And I was struck by my next thought:   Do we?

While I believe in God's faithfulness, while He has manifested His incredible faithfulness to me over the decades, while I see and know and believe and stake my life on Him,  I only know a mere glimpse of God's faithfulness.

Faithfulness is not just an adjective describing Him, faithful is Who He is.

Sing on, my dear children, sing on.  May God engrave that tune, those words, and that incredible truth in your minds and on your hearts.

And on ours.

Your faithfulness endures
             to all generations...

                        Psalm 119. 90

No comments: