Friday, October 1, 2021

October 1 ?!?!

 Yesterday, October still seemed a long time away.  

This morning, I woke up and realized it is here.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"It's October," I said to my husband.  "How did that happen?"

"Day by day," he remarked.

I thought about author Annie Dillard's response to the swift passing of time and our response:  "How we spend our days is how we spend our lives."

What is our response to the 24 hours before us?

The world says, "Seize the day."

But God says, "Take My hand."  

 

From of old not one has heard

         or perceived by ear,

no eye has seen a God besides You

who acts for those who wait for Him.

                        Isaiah 64. 4


I don't need to worry that I am missing out.  I just need to be faithful to Him.  Because in what we consider an insignificant detail, God brings both His faithfulness and fruitfulness to it.  Mundane does not appear in God's dictionary.  We think in days.  God has eternity in His hands.  We add.  God multiplies.  We plant a seed.  God produces a forest that will outlive us.

There are no insignificant obediences.   My response to God directly impacts our days and the lives all around me.

And so I pray Colossians 1. 10 and add the word today at the end of each phrase: 

"...to lead a life worthy of You today,

fully pleasing to You today,

bearing fruit in every good work today,

and increasing in the knowledge of You today."


Order our days, O LORD.

Guide our steps.

Direct our thoughts.

Align our hearts

                 with Yours.

Infect our decisions

              and our vision.

 

The LORD will fulfill His purpose for me;

Your steadfast love, O LORD,

                   endures forever.

                                  Psalm 138.8 

Even today.

Even for a billion tomorrows.

Even in this.

 

No comments: