Saturday, October 30, 2021

If I had known, I would have taken a picture

I had the privilege of picking up our five year old twin grandsons from school on Thursday.  They each carried a small paper lunch bag, the remnants of the school Halloween party earlier that day.  It was a fun day of dressing up in costume.  The most memorable to them was their buddy Fletcher dressing up as a wolf.  Animals of any kind roam endlessly through their imaginations.

Even on the short ride to their home, they were already digging into those little bags to discover the treasures there.

By the time we walked into the house, a couple pieces of candy were already consumed.  They continued to pull out a plastic ring, a rope bracelet, a black ink stamper (what was someone thinking?!?), and of course, more candy.  

But what stood out to me that afternoon was when one of the boys reached into his little bag and pulled out some Smarties, one of his favorites.  He walked over to me and handed me the little plastic wrapped roll.  "Give this to Papa.  I want him to have this."


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If I had known what was taking place, I would have taken a picture.  But I didn't have to.  That image of his generous spirit is engraved indelibly in my heart.

It was not like he didn't like this sweet treat.  It was not like he was coerced into "share with your grandfather." And it is important to note that he had no idea that Trick or Treat was coming.  He did not know that there would be anything more. But his offering was a pure five year old expression of love.  Not an emotion or an "obedience."  But the reality of "I want to share with you."  And it spoke loudly of his character.  He is aware and responsive to those around him in his life. Somehow even at this young age, he realizes it is not all about him.  He loves others, not because he has to, but he gets to.

I can't wait to see how God will use his generous heart.

Just a little piece of candy and a very big heart that God will continue to use his whole life through.  Kindness continues to reverberate.  It blesses others.  It changes us. 

O Lord, give me a generous heart like that.  


The point is this:  whoever sows sparingly

will also reap sparingly, 

and whoever sows bountifully,

will also reap bountifully.  

Each one must give

as he has decided in his heart,

not reluctantly

        or under compulsion,

for God loves a cheerful giver.

And God is able to make

   all grace abound to you,

so that having all sufficiency

    in all things at all times,

you may abound

               in every good work.

           2 Corinthians 9. 6-8


May we live hilariously like that.

No comments: