Monday, April 20, 2009

Watch out!

There is a kind of joke in our family about all of the falls

that I have taken while running. I split a knee open

nine miles out alone on a converted railroad path in Ohio.

I dislocated a finger on a tumble on the Tour de Wolf trail in Memphis and

had to walk two and a half miles back to my car. I fell off

the side of a mountain while running on a trail in the Smokies,

and I was very thankful for the rhododendron bush God planted

to catch my fall. (Kat is still laughing about that one).

But there are countless other times when I stumble

and regain my balance before I actually hit the pavement.

Sometimes it is the slightest uneven place in the sidewalk,

an ill-placed tree root, or just not paying attention to where I am going.

I’ve hit a lot of tree roots in life for the same reasons,

but I recognize that “Behold, God is my helper, the

Lord is the upholder of my life.” (Psalm 54.4)

Reading God’s Word helps us pay attention to the

cracks in the sidewalk and recognize Who catches us.

“…though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong,

for the LORD is the stay of his hand.”

Psalm 37.24

And He gives us the strength to get back on our feet again.

Read on!

If you have “gotten behind” in your reading,

please don’t let that discourage you. Just

pick yourself up and get back in a daily routine. If you

miss a meal, that doesn’t mean that you stop eating.


No comments: