Thursday, July 16, 2009

Change Your Socks

Over and over, the blisters would emerge after a long hike. They would then be irritated further by running.
I finally said, “I can’t do this again. I have to do something different.”
I reached into my drawer, and instead of pulling out my favorite thick white running socks, I chose an old thin black pair.
I ran without pain.
If we want things to change, we have to do something different. And why is it that it takes a personal crisis before we are willing to change? A blister, an “F” on a test, a pink slip, sickness, or ____(fill in the blank.)
What change do you want to see in your life? Be more organized, more efficient with your time, more sensitive to others, more consistent in reading Scripture, lose weight, gain weight, read more, write a novel, run a 5k, get married, learn to cook, speak French, make more friends, know God more, or make a difference for His kingdom?
The key to it is that you have to do something different. It won’t just arrive on your doorstep one morning like a Federal Express package. And no fair blaming your circumstances or those people around you. Back when I was a teenager a hundred years ago, author and friend Robert Wolgemuth told me, “You can’t change others. You can only change yourself.”
What are you going to do?
If you want things to change, do something different. Start with His Word. Daily. It will change how you look at life itself. And the transformation will affect every one around you.
Change your socks.

I waited patiently for the LORD;
He inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the desolate pit,
out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
and put their trust in the LORD.
Psalm 40.1-3

Press on!

No comments: