Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 97 Deflated Fear

I have been amused this week in the aftermath of Halloween.  On my daily trek, I am running past the rather tattered and pathetic remains of Halloween decorations, polyester spider webs still clinging to bushes and an occasional plastic skeleton half-buried in the lawn.  One of our neighbors down the street last week displayed a rather large inflatable ghost menacing in their front yard which moved spookily in the breeze.  Be afraid, it seemed to whisper.  But this week, it remains slumped and deflated on the ground, a thin piece of material gathering leaves, frightening no one at all.

Oh, those gigantic fears we harbor that loom so frightfully when the light is dim and we are easily spooked.

And then to see them in the daylight, we realize them for what they are, deflated and ridiculous.

I sought the LORD, and He answered me,

    and delivered me from all my fears.

                                              Psalm 34.4

(both real and imagined)

No comments: