Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 96 Just being done is not the point

When you are working toward something, as I am pursuing this marathon, as a good friend is struggling through cancer, as many friends with their children, as some are in their work or their schooling or looking for a job, just being done is not the main point.   We live in a society that wants to finish, check it off, and have it neatly wrapped up in sixty minutes or less.  But I find that I need to keep my eyes on more than the finish line.  I need not strive for the end so fast.  Because I know that there is a lot more at stake here.  I don’t want to miss the story that gets me there, the people I will meet on the way, the grace that I will learn, and that which may hold the most significance.

I read a newsletter today from friends of ours who are missionaries in Bogota, Colombia.   On many days, God puts people on their path that they didn’t expect.  The other day, it happened again.  “It wasn’t what we had planned for the afternoon, but it was what God had planned for us,”  they wrote.

Every morning, it is not a matter of  laying our days before the LORD to see how He can fit in.  But being sensitive to God laying His day before us to follow Him into it. 

I am ready to finish this marathon.  But I don’t want to miss what God has in store on the way there.  It might not even be about the race.  Actually, it probably isn’t.

 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts,

    neither are your ways My ways, says the LORD.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

   so are My ways higher than your ways

   and My thoughts than your thoughts.

                              Isaiah 55. 8-9

No comments: