Monday, July 23, 2012

Grand Funk

“Knowing God’s heart means consistently, radically, and very concretely to announce and reveal that God is love and only love, and that every time fear, isolation, or despair begin to invade the human soul this is not something that comes from God.” – Henri Nouwen, In the Name of Jesus, p. 25

 

And so,

that voice you hear that calls you a loser, unloved, rejected, and so weird

          speaks deceit.

And God who created you says,

         “You are precious and loved and I gave My life for you,”

         speaks truth.

God is teaching me to see differently

    what may appear a bleak landscape.

He may not deliver me from it,

       but rest assured,

       He will use it

       in powerful ways that I may never see,

and so, brings me to a different place

                without moving an inch.

We have grown so accustomed to “what is next,”

“where does God want me to go?”

when all along, He may want me to stay

         “to make His Name known there.”

I woke up the other day in a grand funk

       on a sunny bright day

                           all looked bleak

which indeed life is

             when God is not part of it.

“Out of the depths

    I cry to You, O LORD.”  Psalm 130.1

And when I let Him in,

                 all things become new.

Funk

      is a mindset of paralyzing fear or dread.

And in the eyes of God,

                     that is sin.

Funk is one of those apples

          in the garden of Eden

    that poisons and paralyzes our hearts

by questioning the goodness of God.

No comments: