Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Make Every Day Epic

There is a Super Bowl commercial from last Sunday that has stuck in my head.  It starts with a family sitting down to breakfast, and a young son asking, "What are we going to do today, Dad?"

The rest of the commercial showed the family have a wildly fun day, doing the unusual and laughing together.  It ends with the phrase, "Make every day epic."

Sounds inspiring, but in reality, that advertising jingle is based on spiritual truth:  Every day is already epic.  We miss it, because we don't see it that way.  Not grumbling, "oh no, it is morning already," but seeing each morning a gift designed by our Creator.  Every day is significant and full of purpose and meant to not be wasted.

LORD, reveal Your day for me.  Help me to follow You into it. "What are we going to do today, Abba Father?"  It is not that my situation becomes different, but my vision sharpens and I gain a better grasp of the greatness and goodness of God.   Nothing is insignificant in His eyes.

Because our internet has been malfunctioning for almost a week, I am sitting right now in a Panera restaurant, using their wi-fi for the price of a cup of coffee.  I have been distracted from my work, however, by the clerk at the counter.  She is not just taking orders and giving change.  She is GREETING every customer, most of them by name, and treating those she doesn't know as if she did.  "How are you feeling?  You look good," I just heard her say to an elderly man.  She sees her minimum wage job through different eyes.  She is not selling coffee, she is building relationships.

See every day as epic.  Because it is.

This is the day that the LORD has made,
let us rejoice
    and be glad in it.
                             Psalm 118.24


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true!