Friday, February 22, 2013

A Midwinter Night's Soup

There are winter days in the cold north that chill to the bone.  Here, we learn to dress in layers, hoping to keep out the wind on a bitter commute, at times the air so cold, it appears to take the oxygen right out of one's lungs.  This morning we awoke to four inches of fresh snow.  We are deep into soup weather.

A few days ago, I was just beginning to put together a pot of White Chili when my schedule suddenly tightened.  Instead of cooking it on the stovetop, as I usually do, out of necessity I had to pull out the slow cooker, drop in the ingredients, and leave.   There was no time to prepare as usual, there were no skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the freezer, and no time to go to the store.  I found one lone package of boneless skinless chicken thighs in the back of the freezer, dropped the frozen clump into the soup mixture, planning to chop the chicken later.  I figured that I was well on my way to yet another culinary misadventure.

And so, the soup simmered all day, while I was elsewhere.  By suppertime, the chicken thighs were cooked so thoroughly, they self- shredded upon stirring the soup.  I served the soup with tortilla chips, shredded mozzarella to sprinkle on top, and apologies.

But God redeemed my glitches.

I have made this soup for 23 years, one of our family favorites.  And this recipe that I thought I had messed up turned out to be the best batch yet.

There is nothing like hot chicken soup to warm your insides.  And to complement it, I would like to suggest a book to warm your heart.  I have lost count how many times I have read and re-read  The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom.  It is the true account of an elderly Dutch watchmaker and how God uses the most unlikely of heroes in incredible ways.  It will become one of your favorites.

"I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do."    (Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place)

A good soup and a great book.  Enjoy.

White Chili
1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
6 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
3 cans Great Northern white beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2  4-ounce cans chopped mild green chilies
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon dried crumbled oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add all ingredients to the slow cooker.  (Chopped onions can be sauteed first in 1 tablespoon olive oil, if preferred.)  My chicken was even completely frozen when I put the ingredients together.  Cook on high setting 4-5 hours, or low setting for 8 or more.  Makes enough for 6-8 servings.

Please note that this soup is perfect for busy working families.  You can even put all the ingredients together the night before, store the slow cooker container in the fridge overnight, pop it in the slow cooker before you leave, let it cook slow all day, and supper is ready when you get home.


No comments: