Saturday, February 9, 2013

Nothing Will Ever Be The Same

For the past few weeks, we have been awaiting the birth of our third grandchild.  Our daughter would call frequently talking about her preparations and her journey through pregnancy.

And all along, I have been thinking, "She has NO idea what is coming, NO possible comprehension of what is in store, nothing will EVER be the same."

And suddenly, this daughter of ours -- you know, the one that thought sleep was a waste of time, the one who hid science experiments under the bathroom sink, the one who brought home spiders and moths and shiny rocks -- has become a mom.  Yesterday at 11.11 a.m.  She and her husband have a beautiful baby boy.

We saw Adrian for the first time late last night, his big eyes full of wonder at this new world around him, much as I would think when we walk through the pearly gates someday. Wow.

When I heard the happy news of a safe delivery, I rejoiced and then realized that it is I who have no comprehension of what is in store.  The world is a little different because of this new life.  And I too am a little different because of this child.  When each of our four daughters were born, another new dimension of love was revealed, as if opening a door that I didn't know existed.  And now, as a gramma, I feel that happening again.

On our way here last night though, I kept thinking about my own grandmother, a quiet, gentle presence in my life as a child.  With her I had the freedom to ask a billion questions or just sit and enjoy the silence between us.  More than anyone else in my life, she pointed me to God just by the way she graciously lived.  And when confronted by deep mystery, I can clearly hear her voice, "Well, darling, sometimes we just need to trust Him."

Looking forward to the adventure ahead.

O LORD, our LORD,
how majestic isYour name in all the earth.
Out of the mouth of babies and infants,
You have perfected praise.

                         Psalm 8. 1-2



1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yay! congrats, (grand)mama Karen!