Thursday, October 3, 2013

Individual Servings















I was afraid.  After a derailed training run on Monday and two subsequent days with a painful foot, I was fearful to even try to run.  But with just ten days until the marathon, I had to do something today, or hang up my running shoes for good.

Last evening at a Bible study, I asked the group to pray for my injured foot that I would be able to make it through to the marathon.  "Please pray that I can just finish it," I said.

This morning, the vacant lot next door was shrouded with fog, so heavy that I could not even see trees a hundred feet away.  I felt a similar oversized burdensome shroud on my shoulders, heading into the unknown.  Would I even be able to run at all?

I started off at an easy pace, no need to tempt the pain, I thought, as if to ration out my foot for a mile or so.  It felt good.  I was cautiously surprised.

I ran this morning with only one little twinge in my foot at the half-mile point.  I headed out bearing that heavy shroud of fear, and returned, running joyously through unforecasted rain, wearing a mantle of praise that danced in the breeze. 

Victory doesn't usually come all at once in one huge triumph, but in individual servings.  God grants us our daily bread, which is manifest in His strength for this day, small encouragements for whatever struggle I face, and all the grace that fits.   Small victories keep me moving in the right direction and focus my eyes on Him.

And once again, I am reminded He is the God of the small runs too, nothing insignificant in His eyes.

Everyone struggles with something.  And God is there to help see us through with small victories -- even through the pain.    

I will rest my foot the next couple of days, ice it, and keep praying.  And then I will follow Him into it again.

Have you not known?  Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
     the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary,
     His understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
     and to him who has no might
                   He increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
     and young men shall fall exhausted,
but they who wait for the LORD
                    shall renew their strength,
they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
they shall walk and not faint.

                                 Isaiah 40. 28-31



No comments: