Tuesday, May 26, 2015

That little hesitation


When our girls were young, there was often a bit of hesitation and sometimes a lot of reluctance in responding to us as parents.  I am sure that there were often great intentions in obeying, but just on their terms.  "I'll do it later."

And so, we used to say to them, "Delayed obedience is the same as disobedience."

Because in that little hesitation or even those good intentions, there is a lack of trust.  And while at times it does not matter if the item gets done that morning or the next day, more often than not, that intended obedience falls into the abyss of forgetfulness.

At the most crucial times, that hesitation is a matter of life and death.  We had a friend who had the ability to emit a great and sharp whistle from placing her fingers against her lips -- something I always wanted to be able to do.  When her son was about four years old and careening down the sidewalk as only an energetic four year old boy can do, right before the intersection, Mary whistled.  Her little boy literally stopped on a dime.  Every time.  No hesitation.  No arguing.  Just stopped.

Someday that immediate obedience would save his life.

We all fall into a complacence that this thing or that really doesn't matter.  And we develop patterns of behavior that make us sluggish and unresponsive to God.  If we listen for Him at all, we respond like a reluctant child, "I'll do it later."

But heeding when God calls always matters.  And it ALWAYS impacts not only me, but the lives of everyone around me.  I cannot foresee the outcome, and I cannot improve God's perfect timing.

I don't need to learn to whistle at all.
I need to learn to stop on a dime.
And not just hear God's voice in this,
           but heed Him in it.

When I think of Your ways,
I turn my feet to Your testimonies;
I hasten and do not delay
to keep Your commandments.

                           Psalm 119. 59-60






No comments: