Sunday, October 25, 2015

Wasteland and the Wilderness


I woke this morning with the words of an old hymn running through my thoughts on a continual loop.

"Guide us, O Thou great Jehovah,
      lead us through this barren land."

And as the words and tune repeated themselves in that early morning darkness, the rain steady outside my window, I realized that when I turn to You, O LORD, it does not appear such a wasteland at all, but a place of opportunity to serve You, one step of obedience leading to the next, not reluctant tasks, but ways to worship You.

Desolation and despair want me to believe they are the only ones who live there.

And I am called to find the splendors
         of the wilderness
filled by His Creation,
full of His Presence.

The difference is in which direction I stand
        and in whom I trust.

Near where we live in the mountains, there is a planned federal roadway through the valley of which its construction has been delayed for decades.  Other roads have been paved, houses have filled in the empty fields, livestock and small businesses thrive there.

"It is not obvious to me," I said to my husband, "where exactly that road would go."

And Bill replied, "If you get to a higher elevation and look down, you can see it."

Find His higher perspective in this.

Some things are not so obvious at the time, but God's deep purposes always prevail.  We have only to stay faithful to Him.  It will not just happen, but God will bring it.

But seek the welfare of the city
where I have sent you into exile,
and pray to the LORD on its behalf,
for in its welfare
        you will find your welfare.

                         Jeremiah 29. 7

For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,
                         says the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are My ways higher than your ways
and My thoughts than your thoughts.

                           Isaiah 55. 8-9

Beyond our comprehension
     and marvelous in His ways.

No comments: