Thursday, August 26, 2010

Doesn’t matter? Think Again

I received yesterday what I call “a whoppin’ from the LORD.”  I was about to send a friend an encouragement by email and let her know that I am praying for her.  And I hesitated.  One part of me said, “Send.”   But another part (where did it come from?) said, “Don’t be annoying.”  And I hesitated.  I really absolutely don’t want to be an annoyance in someone’s life.  And so I hesitated again.  But after a few minutes of tug-of-war, I sent the email anyway.

Later in the day, I received an email from that very friend.   She thanked me because as it turned out, she was right in the midst of a precarious and delicate situation.  No details, just pray, please.  And she had even forwarded my verse of encouragement to others who were involved.

I am so ashamed to have thought that it didn’t matter.  Think again.

When Bill’s grandmother passed away suddenly quite a few years ago, we helped Bill’s folks clear out her apartment.  In the process, I found a dresser drawer FULL of cards, some Hallmark greetings for literally decades of birthdays, Easter, Thanksgiving, and a hand-drawn Valentine that the month before she died our almost-two year old daughter had made for her.  As I cleared out the drawer, I was reminded how many times I didn’t think it mattered whether we sent a card or not.  But it did.  She had kept every one of them.

So if the Spirit prompts you…KNOW that it matters.  It matters a lot.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.  Proverbs 3.27

No comments: