Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Little Token of My Love for You

IMAG0427

As I was running early this morning, just before the path wraps around the pond, a potted red chrysanthemum sat on this wooden bench, an intended surprise for someone, a yellow bow tied tightly around its red foil wrapping.  Ah, I mused, a reminder of how precious that person is, an unexpected gift of autumn flowers on a bench.  What a creative way to say “I love you.”   Someone deliberately went to a lot of work and detail to transform an ordinary walk into a special occasion.  It didn’t just happen. Love compels a person to do such things.

And then I rounded the bend.  The trees above me radiated with sunlight, standing brilliant and bold against the bluest of skies.  I bathed in the visible display of light, color and the textures of majestic trees planted long before I was even born, exploding in a prism of beauty right on schedule.  It was no longer an ordinary Tuesday jog, but a breathless realization of wonder.   It didn’t just happen.  Love compels God to do such things.  There is a wildness in God’s mercy.

IMAG0423

For you shall go out in joy,

and be led forth in peace;

the mountains and the hills before you

       shall break forth into singing,

and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands,

                                        Isaiah 55.12

No comments: