Monday, October 8, 2012

The Other Side of the Marathon

I had the honor and privilege yesterday of standing on the sidelines and watching 45,000 runners participate in the Chicago marathon.   Our third daughter was running her first marathon.  Yes, it was the same marathon that derailed me last year (see Oct 2011 blog entry “Woman Hit By Train.”)   But this year, I stood along the road, cheering on the runners, all of them strangers to me.  Some of the runners had their names written on their shirts in dark thick letters of a permanent marker.  We cheerfully called them out by name, “Go Luis!” “Good job, Gabby.”  And as they passed, just hearing their name called out by a total stranger was enough to bring out a smile and fill them with another mile of strength.  At mile 20, I jumped in and ran with our daughter for a few miles, coming alongside, to encourage with words and just being there for her.  She was awesome, finishing strong a long hard race.

And while cheering on the roadside and observing others who cheered while I was running with her, I was reminded of the verse,

       Therefore, since we are surrounded

       by so great a cloud of witnesses,

       let us also lay aside every weight,

       and sin which clings so closely,

                    and let us run with perseverance

             the race that is set before us…”

                           Hebrews 12. 1

Both sides of the road were jammed with cheering spectators, at times three deep, “a great cloud of witnesses,” a great crowd of witnesses, calling out to “take courage”  to those who were tired, hurting and faint-hearted.  And I imagined angels lining my own path when I am going through a tough 26.2 miles of life, urging me to keep going and stay the course, even that which I may not understand.  Our course map in life is rarely what we expect.  The audible voices of the angel cheerleaders come in many dimensions.  Sometimes in verses of Scripture that we carry with us, the very Word of God memorized and tucked in our hearts and minds. 

And sometimes, those audible voices of angels come through us.  As I was running that last hard stretch with my daughter, I was convicted about encouraging those around me who are going through a tough and tearful stretch in life.  I pray that there will be those who are faithfully coming alongside and cheering my family in the barren landscapes.  And that I would do the same for those around me.

I was also compelled to encourage those I know who are faithful and pouring out themselves in good works and ministry to others.  Because works that are good take resolve and energy and resources down to the very last drop.  When was the last time I called or sent an email to thank someone for their faithfulness in God’s kingdom?  All faithful work is sacred, no matter what, no matter where.   And they too need to hear their name called out on the course, “Thank you for what you do.  Keep up the good work.”

I have seen the other side of marathoning.  And for that we ALL need to participate.

 

…that I may know

        how to sustain with a word

  him who is weary.

                  Isaiah 50.4

No comments: