Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What I Learned About Grace From Our Very Dead Tree

Yesterday, I wrote about our massive oak tree and the mess that was left behind.   Yes, I was a bit annoyed that the tree guy did not return to clean up.

After posting the blog entry, I found out the back story.  And I ate humble pie for lunch.

Little did I know, little did I realize, that there was a good reason for his delay.  He was indeed still planning to come back to finish the work, but he had a few other unanticipated crises land on his plate in the meantime.   We found out that once our tree was down, he had to deal with two unruly employees, investigate the incident, and let them go.  Right after that,  he and his wife were called out of town unexpectedly, a family emergency I surmise.  When they returned, his truck had been stolen.  He had been busy, working with the police, tracking down his work vehicle and apprehending another now-former worker.  He was blessed with other jobs already scheduled but he was drastically short on labor, trying to keep his business afloat and working long hours, now by himself.

And I was annoyed over some sticks?

I was sorry that I had hastily harbored a bad opinion of him.  The incident served as a reminder to me to be gracious with others and know that there is always a back story when things don't go as planned.  More than an excuse, more than a reason, but because we are dealing with people, a story.

Long ago, my immensely-wise mother-in-law advised me to respond rather than react to our young children.  Great advice for parenting, great advice for marriage, and great advice in all my encounters.   Listening first to the back story nurtures understanding and grace.  There is certainly not enough of that in this world.  It enables me to navigate difficult situations and create a solution  without harshness.  Handle with gentleness, not a swat team.

Let every man be quick to hear,
      slow to speak,
            slow to anger,
for the anger of man
does not work the righteousness of God.

                             James 1.19



No comments: