Friday, May 16, 2014

Not easily forgotten


I'm majoring in the basics this week, caring for my bedridden daughter and her family, helping them to keep their heads above water as they navigate through a tough situation.  As one of our other daughters jests about this season of life, "A successful day is when the children are fed and you even get a shower."

Yesterday, I took fifteen-month old Adrian to his doctor for a checkup and his vaccination shots.  Afterwards, we maneuvered through the grocery store, dangerously without a list.  On the way home, he was a bit cranky from the shots and the lack of a nap.  I began to sing children's songs out loud to soothe him.  As I sang "Jesus loves me" over and over, he calmed down and settled into a deep sleep, comforted and secure.

And the words of that song from my childhood so very long ago spoke to Adrian, but I was impacted as well as I drove and sang even after Adrian fell asleep.  It is not just a children's song, but that which is not easily forgotten.  Jesus loves me too.  That is what the Bible is all about, a scarlet thread that runs from the first page to the last.

And that truth made a significant difference in my day.
That truth has made a significant difference in my life.

Jesus loves me, this I know.
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong.
They are weak,
        but He is strong.

To Him who loves us...

               Revelation 1.5

No comments: