Tuesday, March 3, 2015

And today's forecast is .......


Before I get dressed every morning, I check my schedule for what I call "big rocks," those planned appointments and responsibilities that determine the structure of my day.  And then I check the weather forecast to make sure what I am wearing is both appropriate for what is planned and for the weather.  I look ahead to what I can know and prepare for what may not yet be on my radar.

As I go into my day, I want to wear the right shoes, the right jacket, and the right attitude.  There is rarely the time to change any of those in the middle of the day.

And I know that like my schedule and the weather, my plans are tentative, subject to change.

I have told many a frustrated young mom, "From now on, your middle name is "flexibility."   I don't just need to get used to things going awry, but embrace them when they do.  I can have every detail aligned and tied with a bow, but then comes something over which I have no control.

And that's when I realize that I am not in control, but God.  It is not even a matter of laying my carefully crafted day before Him, but sitting still --no matter the tumult around me or before me -- and accepting God's design and divine appointments.  And follow Him into His day for me.

Get on the bus, but be prepared for what God has placed on your path today.  Eyes wide open, heart softened and teachable, ready to stop where you did not plan, prepared to go down a trail you do not yet know.  God will not just direct you.  He has already gone before.  And He goes with you.

When I go into God's day for me, there are no accidents or interruptions.  Just His design.

The most profound thing I can do today is to be found in Him. That way, the focus is not on the doing, but on the being.  Because when I direct my attention to the being, the doing falls right into place. God knows that my heart needs to be right first, or the doing is always misaligned.

In God's economy, there is nothing big or small, just what is faithful.

"The real test of the saint is not preaching the gospel, but washing disciples' feet, that is, doing the things that do not count in the actual estimate of men but count everything in the estimate of God.  Paul delighted to spend himself out for God's interests in other people, and he did not care what it cost."  (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)

The most significant thing I do today is probably not even on my radar yet.  And most likely, something I may not ever realize.

Even before I check my schedule or the weather, I check with God, praying and drinking in His Word.  Because He will direct me into His appointments.

What is before me today?

All I need is You.


... be found in Him.

         Philippians 3.9




No comments: