Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Something old, something new


It is on the most ordinary days, even amidst the most mundane of tasks, that God breaks through with something new.  In a situation that took place about twenty-five years ago, I was vacuuming the stairs in preparation for a group of people coming over that evening.  The problem was not so much the condition of our house as it was my state of mind.  It was not so much what I was doing, as my sour attitude toward it.

And quite suddenly, as I vacuumed and as I contemplated what other duties I had yet to do, I felt Jesus nudging me, "And what if it was Me coming over?"

"O LORD, that would be so different," I responded.  "I would gladly do anything for You."  And immediately, it was as if Jesus raised one eyebrow.  I was immediately humbled. "Even in this, you are doing it for Me."

Whatever the job, whatever the task, it is to no avail, if I bring a bad attitude to it.  I used to tell our girls, "It doesn't count if you complain about it."

There is nothing mundane
                  in God's eyes,
nothing He does not use
in profound ways.

What am I bringing to the task before me today?  Author, speaker and pastor Chuck Swindoll says it powerfully:

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.  It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.  It will make or break a company...a church...a home.  The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.  I am convinced that life is ten percent what happens to me and ninety percent of how I react to it.  And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes."

Help me, LORD,
to see what is before me today
    with fresh eyes
                and a new heart.

It is not even how I do something,
or what I do,
or even why I do it,
       but for Whom.

Put Your name on it, LORD.


And whatever you do,
in word or deed,
do everything
in the name of the Lord Jesus...
Whatever your task,
      work heartily,
as serving the Lord
                 and not men...

          Colossians 3. 17, 23

No comments: