Saturday, March 14, 2015

Dog-eared pages


page 85  The very trials that befell her were turned to means of strength for her;  by them she proved her Father.  For "if the work be of God, He can make a stepping stone of the devil himself to see forward the work."

page 145  I knew, not by faith now, but as it were by sight, that our Lord Jesus Christ can do anything, keep anyone, shine anywhere, succor in spite of all the forces of the enemy, comfort in any circumstances. Verily, circumstances are nothing to Him.  He is King of them all.
       
These two quotations come from the book Mimosa by Amy Carmichael, a single woman missionary who served in India from 1895 until her death in 1951.  For a few years, a friend has been urging me to read this book, which was originally published in 1924.  It is an incredible true story of faith in the face of the impossible.  On my first reading of it, I have already marked up my copy.  I recommend it highly.

No comments: