Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 Vision

 











 

We are in that strange week between packing up Christmas and packing up the old year.  This was the year when goals and plans and resolutions didn't take precedence, nor even a backseat, but just about thrown out of the car.  We were caught up in what was happening now, what was next, or simply waiting impatiently for "normal" to return. 

To have 2020 vision is not perfect eyesight, but seeing what is real and right before us.  Not remembering the past through a distorted lens of a rearview mirror, because "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."  Nor imagining what is ahead through a hazy windshield and the imperfect lens of our own desires.

As this last day of 2020 dims, we are not limited by hindsight or handicapped by foresight, but strengthened by His sight. 

What did we learn this year?  What did we earn?  And for what do we yearn?

I learned even more that God is with us.  We can trust Him, even when we don't understand.  That reorders how I view God, how I respond to others, how I see myself, and how I face circumstances. We can be faithful in what He places before us and on our hearts. Nothing but nothing is insignificant.  And God brings His fruitfulness to it, even in what appears like a barren landscape and rocky soil.  It is more than our routines that have been changed.  I learned what I have, what I really need, what I can give away, what to hold on tight, what to let go, and how to love in unexpected ways.

We have all learned to walk in a wilderness that we didn't expect.  And know even more now Who walks with us.

I earned a renewed respect for those who serve in our community-- the dedicated medical professionals who continue to faithfully minister in this pandemic even at great personal sacrifice, the first responders, and even the grocery workers who kept us fed.  I was also so thankful for those who tirelessly developed Zoom and Facetime, not knowing at the time how vitally it would connect people in this pandemic and keep the churches and church ministries open online.

I yearned for time with family, separated from those in-town and those across the nation.  We loved each other even more and cherished time we could have, seeing each other face to face on a screen.  I also yearned for church.  We were able to "meet" online on Sunday mornings.  We texted to pray together on the spot for help and joy. We were able to "get together" on Zoom for home group, Bible study, book discussion groups, and even classes.  But I missed corporate worship, the gathering of church family.  We will never take that for granted again.

And I can't help but think that through all the hardships and hidden joys in this past year, we have been trained and strengthened for new seasons and upcoming years.  

We cannot know what we will face in the coming weeks and months and years.  But we can know Who does.  God goes with us.  He does not promise that life will be easy in this broken world, but "I am with you."  He does not expect us to endure, but abide in Him.

Now faith is the assurance

    of things hoped for,

the conviction of 

    things not seen.

          Hebrews 11. 1 


At the end of 1939, not knowing the suffering or outcome of what was ahead in the coming years of World War 2, George VI the king of the United Kingdom gave a speech to carry into the new year:

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
"Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown."
And he replied:
"Go out into the darkness and
put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light
and safer than a known way."
So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night.
And He led me towards the hills and the breaking of day in the lone East.
 
God is faithful.  He is holding us.  He will not just bring us through this pandemic.  He walks with us hand in hand.

Now to Him
who is able to do
far more abundantly
than all that we ask
    or even imagine,
according to 
   the power at work
   within us,
to Him be glory.......

           Ephesians 3. 20

 


No comments: