Saturday, December 5, 2020

And Here All Along

Last weekend, we dragged our Christmas decorations out of the attic, purchased a tree in the Costco parking lot, and cast aside several strings of lights that no longer worked.  Hanging the ornaments on the tree always makes us miss our girls.  We always had so much fun decorating the tree with them.  But instead of dismay, we smiled and laughed as our favorite ornaments came out of the box:  a coffee filter angel made by a preschooler thirty years ago,  a golf ball painted by one of our teenagers, and a handcrafted clay angel dated 2001. 

And we scattered about in a few rooms nativity scenes to catch our attention and remind us of the reason for our celebration. 

The next morning, at the desk where I do my morning reading, I looked up and saw a little decorative door before me. I had almost forgotten about it, about what was always there in December and July, what has been there year by year, even through the pandemic.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advent does not announce, "Jesus is coming,"  but Jesus has come, Jesus is already here, even when we are not aware, even when we live as if He is not.  

I opened the door.  He has been here all along.


 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fear not,

   for I am with you,

be not dismayed,

   for I am your God;

I will strengthen you,

I will help you,

and I will uphold you

  with My victorious right hand.

               Isaiah 41. 10

 

No comments: