Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Living counter culturally

One of my delights in the Bible is discovering deeper and deeper its encouragement to not go along with the status quo, but to live counter culturally in extraordinary ways. Not in a weird way that says, "look at ME."  But living in a way that very naturally reveals the grace of God in our lives.

And in our throwaway culture that still seeks and demands the elusive "fountain of youth," my favorite women are those who do not fear growing old, but instead they bear the evidence that "the joy of the LORD is my strength."  Not happiness dependent on the prevailing wind, but joy that weathers any storm --  extraordinary joy that has thrived no matter what.  I've seen it before my very eyes, an hilarious strength that runs deep.  It blesses all around them.

And so, I want to send out a tribute this day to those women who have been such an encouragement to me by how they live and what they wear.

Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.

                             Proverbs 31.25

No comments: