Monday, July 22, 2013

The Song That Never Ends

A friend of mine keeps a chronicle of God's faithfulness to her, writing down those amazing realizations of His presence in times both great and small, huge miracles and the most intricate details that could only come from God alone.  She wants to remember every one of these instances.  She does not want to forget.

"Isn't it strange," I remarked, "that we need to write down these glimpses of faithfulness to remember them? And that we never need to keep a list of what we worry about or fear?"  We both chuckled at the truth.

Maybe we should.   To make a list, not just what I fear, but why I fear it.  Then, while it is on paper before me, pray and praise my way through the list.  Let the praise deflate its power over me.  Let praise erase it.

Praise is stronger than fear.

Why?  Because the focus of my praise -- God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and me, my Savior, Redeemer, my rock, my strength, my fortress, my deliverer, my shield, my salvation, my stronghold, the God who provides, the LORD of breaking through,  the Great I AM, the Most High, King of Kings, and LORD of Lords -- is stronger than fear.

I do not know what you face today, but I do know that we all struggle with something.

Sing today a song of praise, make it a continual loop in your thoughts.  Sing OUTLOUD when you can.  It is not that praise drowns out fear,
                  but God Himself vanquishes it.
And He fills you instead with a strength
that is not your own.

Be strong and of good courage.
Do not be afraid or dismayed
before the king of Assyria
     and all the horde that is with him,
for there is one greater with us
     than with him.
With him is an arm of flesh,
but with us
       is the LORD our God,
to help us and to fight our battles.

                         2 Chronicles 32.7-8

No comments: