Thursday, July 18, 2013

Please don't let it be chocolate!


For the past five years, I have been struggling with some type of allergic reaction around my eyes.  It would come and go, itchy and red for a week or two and then better again -- until the past year, when it became a constant companion and progressively worse.  Last fall, I began seeking medical help.  I consulted a dermatologist who said, "sorry, we don't do eyes."  The opthamologist said, "sorry, probably an allergy."  And the first allergist I saw last December actually googled it on his computer right in front of me, printed off an information sheet, and said, "this is probably it."  By the time I read the symptoms on the form -- few of which applied to my situation -- he had already left the room.

A couple of weeks ago, it felt like I had poison ivy around my eyes they itched so much.  It looked like I had applied red marker around my eyes.  People were kind.  They would STARE at my face and not say a word.  Family, of course, would respond with a sympathetic "WHOA, that looks like your eyes really HURT!!!"  I took to wearing my sunglasses continually in public like Bono, and I made an appointment with another allergist.

After being pin-pricked with various allergens,  four culprits emerged, all preservatives hidden in various lotions and face products.  The doctor prescribed an ointment to heal my eyes, and now it is up to me to carefully examine the ingredients on everything from shampoo to sunscreen.  Get out the magnifying glasses. These ingredients are printed in  the tiniest font-size available.

Those culprits produced an allergic reaction on my skin.  But even more hurtful and damaging, I know that there are elements in my life that produce negative reactions in my heart and mind.  To what do I expose myself that causes such soul  reactions?  When I was in junior high school, I stopped watching any kind of scary movie or reading scary books.  There was nothing illegal in them, and my parents didn't even tell me I couldn't watch them.  But I knew that they were just not healthy for me to watch.  I couldn't even babysit without thinking someone was going to jump out of a closet.

All things are lawful, but not all things are helpful.
All things are lawful for me,
     but I willl not be enslaved by anything.
                     1 Corinthians 6.12

What other things am I "allergic" to?  What stirs up discontent, what riles up anger, what discourages, what hinders, what derails my spiritual life?  I need to examine, identify, avoid, and spend my energies on what builds up, not takes me --and others -- down.

All things are lawful,
    but not all things build up.
                       1 Corinthians 10.23

Sometimes it takes careful self-examination to determine the culprits -- reading the fine-print of my life and doing what it takes to make things right again.  Is it an unhealthy friendship?  Addiction to Facebook?  Discontent spurred on by the perfection of Pinterest?  Unkind words spoken?  Or even taking out my irritations on those all around me? 

Is there no balm in Gilead?
Is there no physician there?
Why then has the health of the daughter of My people
      not been restored?
                          Jeremiah 8. 22

Because my sin,
     my selfishness,
         my pride
  stand in the way.

As my doctor recommended, identify the allergen, avoid, and apply a healing balm.

And in life, repentance and grace do wonders.

Apply liberally.


                        





No comments: