Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Hallmark Dad


There were many things that my father was.  There were many things he was not.

And in my annual frustrating search for the perfect Father's Day card for him, I never found one that really fit.  He was not handy with tools.  He did not fish.  He tried golf, but that didn't last but a few weeks.

And I was so often overwhelmed by what he was not.

But on Father's Day, God continues to remind me:

Finally, brethren,
whatever is true,
whatever is honorable,
whatever is just,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is gracious,
if there is any excellence,
if there is anything
            worthy of praise,
think about these things.
What you have learned and received
and heard and seen in me,
                          do,
and the God of peace
         will be with you.

                        Philippians 4. 8-9

Think about it,
anything and whatever.

My dad was not the perfect parent.
The reality is
              neither am I.

He has been gone now four and a half years.

And all along,
I just wanted a card that said,
                  "I love you."

No comments: