Monday, June 1, 2015

A cool calm breeze


In these mornings before the heat and humidity take up their summer home, there is often a cool breeze in the early part of the day. By afternoon, the heat takes hold, but right now, before the day kicks in, I open up the back door and let the refreshing breeze swirl into our closed up spaces.  The coolness has a calming impact, the little birds chirp in the evergreen trees, even more birds join the chorus from our neighbors' trees.

The breeze flows through the house and starts the day on a different strength.  I have let in a changing  element.  As I feel the coolness surround me, changing the static air of a closed up dwelling, I am aware that in Scripture, the word for Spirit is the same Greek word for "wind."

God's Spirit blows into my life and changes things up.  His wind lets me breathe, even in impossible situations.  Indeed the word "inspire," means "God-breathed."

Fill my lungs, O LORD.  Fill my heart with Your cool calm breeze, no matter what the day may bring. Your peace takes over.  You start the day anew.

Peace I leave with you;
My peace I give to you;
not as the world gives
do I give to you.
Let not your hearts be troubled,
       neither let them be afraid.

                     John 14. 27

Breathe, my friend.


No comments: