Friday, June 28, 2013

One From Column A, One from Column B

We have four daughters -- and that seems to be where the similarity ends, as they approach life and solutions from four very different perspectives.  One of our daughters thinks in designs, one connects the clues, and one like me, thinks in stories.  But our third daughter thinks in systems.  She has been organized since the day she was born.  "Schedule?  Why wouldn't there be?"  That was pre-wired into her.  I could set my watch by her routines and totally depend on her methods.   I have always admired that in her.

When we moved into this house, my portion of the closet looked like a crime scene.  Laura offered to help me get organized.  EVERYTHING came out of the closet.  First, we sorted, piece by piece.  What fit, what didn't, outfits "that-went-out-of-style-in-the-90s," and one or two tops she asked to borrow (I was flattered.).  I even discarded my favorite denim shirt, unworn for fifteen years and taking up space.

When she returned the surviving items back into the closet, she arranged the sweaters on one side from dark to light, and my shirts on the other side, again by color.  Slacks were hung on the left side of the pole, and dresses on the right.  "When you take something out," she advised me, "leave the hanger there so you know where to put it back."

It was incredible.  One from Column A, one from Column B.  When I got dressed in the morning, no longer did I stand there, gazing at what I didn't know I had.    I remarked about it to my husband, and he just stared back at me.  In our more than thirty years of marriage, he had utilized the same system, unbeknownst to me. 

Yesterday as I pondered what to wear, I thought about my day, what I was doing, where I was going, what would be appropriate for the weather, and who I would be seeing.   I was reminded how Scripture talks about what not to wear and what is fitting.

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved,
compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience,
forbearing one another,
and if one has a complaint against another,
                  forgiving one another;
as the LORD has forgiven you,
          so you also must forgive.
And above all these put on love,
which binds everything together
          in perfect harmony."
                             Colossians 3. 12-14

I don't think of consciously putting away conflicting elements and donning my new nature, and yet, it makes a significant difference in every encounter and relationship.  Calming colors, creating a peaceful atmosphere?  A cheery scarf of encouragement?  A warm sweater of compassion?  We have all fallen into ruts, as if what we "wear" doesn't matter.  And we don't even realize how different our work situations, our home life, and relationships can be.

What do I need to wear today?  Some patience and forgiveness would be perfect for this appointment.  And love, well, it pulls it all together, don't you think?

Don't just leave it hanging in the closet.  "Put it on."


No comments: