Saturday, June 1, 2013

Did I leave something?

My suitcase is packed.  The sheets and towels are washed, dried, and put back into place for the next visitor.  The baby has been up, fed, his diaper changed three times, gone for a walk, had a short nap, and it is still only 8.30 on a Saturday morning.

As I leave today to drive long hours back home, I have walked through the apartment, looking carefully to make sure I don't accidentally leave something behind, something misplaced, left on a nightstand or in the kitchen.

I walked around the quiet early morning, so thankful for my days here this week.  Under the guise of taking care of our youngest grandson, I had great fun.  I was able to get to know him more, his cute little personality grabbing my heart with both chubby hands.  And as I attempted to get him to nap in the afternoons, I relearned that he is his mother's child, and just doesn't require the same amount of sleep as others his age.  I learned to make the most of that time instead, playing with him, talking, singing, and going for walks to gaze at the trees waving overhead.

I will miss him as I return home, but I know full-well not to lament my time away, but instead to maximize our time when we are together and dwell on that.

What did I leave behind?  I hope a lot of memories and love.  I am certainly taking a heart full home with me.

No comments: