Monday, June 3, 2013

Preparing for the week ahead

Yesterday morning as I entered church, a music video greeted the congregation.  Printed at the bottom of the screen were the words, "Use this video to prepare your hearts for worship."  Indeed, the music set the tone for the morning church service.  When the actual service started, we were ready to worship.

During the service, I was reminded how often the worship music becomes the background music for my week.  Frequently,  I find myself humming the hymns and praise songs, or singing the words as I go about my days.  It amazes me how often these songs are based on words from Scripture.   The teaching from the pulpit also accompanies me in succeeding days as I think about the sermon or contemplate the verses of Scripture read out loud.  This morning, I saw a man worshiping, his arms cast high and wide as if standing before the grandeur of all God has created.  That image of worship inscribed itself in my thoughts as I left the sanctuary and now as I walk into my week.

I left church with a bulging bag of carryouts -- not leftovers, mind you, but nourishment that carries me through the week.  Verses, songs, food for thought, and new strength for tomorrow.

And as I start my week, I discover that "Prepare your hearts for worship" is not really about going to church at all, but preparing my heart to worship God throughout the week-- wherever I go, in whatever I do, with whomever God places on my path, whenever, and however I can.

Indeed... "work, worship, and service are inextricably linked and intricately connected," says Dr. Tom Nelson in his book Work Matters .

Worship emanates from all I do.  Worship changes my view about what I do and how I do it with all intention and excellence.  I am not worshiping my work, but worshiping God through it.

Prepare to worship.

Whatever your task,
work heartily,
      as serving the LORD
   and not men...

                 Colossians 3.23

No comments: