Thursday, September 12, 2013

Construction Zone



                                                                                                              
Up until now, the vacant lot behind us has been a haven for birds, squirrels, and an occasional urban coyote.  Last week, I could hear trees being slayed, underbrush conquered, and chipping machines grinding up the branches.  Yesterday, the earth-moving machinery began pushing a lot of dirt around.

I walked around the corner this morning to take a peek.   It looked like a scene from the 1939 children's book  Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel. There are a number of machines digging, but so far, I can see no rhyme nor reason to what they are doing. 

As much as it appears, somehow I don't think they are just grown men playing with really big toys.  There is purpose in their efforts, even in what I cannot comprehend.  A huge mound of dirt is situated in the back near the tree line, a large front loader is working on the side of the lot today, and a few small triangular flags mark some kind of boundaries, the driveway, perhaps, or the water main. 

I cannot figure out what they are doing over there.  It looks like a big mess to me.  But I know there is a master plan behind all that chaos.

God places elements of change in all our lives that sometimes just don't make sense to us.  What are you doing, God?  Why did this happen?  Why am I here?  And, excuse me, but what is THAT?

And all along, God says, "Trust Me."   He is busy doing something new in our lives.  We have only to follow Him into it.  And then, someday we will stand amazed at His extraordinary purposes which, sometimes, take awhile to become obvious to our near-sighted hearts. 

...that men may see and know,
may consider and understand together,
that the hand of the LORD has done this,
the Holy One of Israel created it.

                          Isaiah 41.20

   

No comments: